Sinus Lift Complications, Its Alternatives – Basal & Pterygoid Implants
A certain question you can ask about, Sinus Lift Complications and its alternatives- basal implants and pterygoid implant. Some may suggest about pterygoid implant or basal implant alternative of sinus lift. Implantation depends on the oral condition of patients, his/her age and many other factors. A professional dental expert can suggest you here.
Alternatives to Sinus Lift
So, first of all, we are going to elaborate the topic- sinus lift and its alternatives- basal implants and pterygoid implant with particular analysis of every single element.
What is Sinus Lift surgery?
With some few words, a sinus lift procedure is a surgery that adds bone height to the upper jaw in the area of premolars and molars which also sometimes called as sinus augmentation. Between the jaw and the maxillary sinuses, a bone graft is added hereby. The sinus membrane is moved upward or “lifted” to make the room for the bone. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons have done this kind of surgery.
Reasons for inadequate bone in upper molar area:
Some patients who have lost teeth in upper jaw and want to fixed teeth on dental implants; sometimes they find they have lost a lot of amount of bone. This was vital for anchoring teeth implants. There are many reasons for loss of bone volume under the maxillary sinus.
- With the age, the maxillary sinus keeps expanding and soon patients have little bone left above the 2nd molar, 1st molar 2nd and premolar.
- Bone loss during gum disease.
- Once teeth are lost, bone started to be restored. When teeth have been missing for a long time, then a lot of bone will vanish.
Disadvantages of Sinus Lift
The patients who need implants or full mouth dental implants are forced to undergo sinus lift procedures which delay and complicate the patient’s desire to instantly getting fixed teeth. There are several causes, why sinus lift procedures are being replaced by basal implants and pterygoid implants.
With Basal implants and Pterygoid implants after implant placement, the patient can get crowns within 3 days and avoid sinus lift complications. There are some disadvantages of sinus lift operation given below.
1. Time Factor:
A patient desiring to have dental implants in the upper jaw has to wait for 6 months to 1 year for the bone graft. Because bone graft needs time to become bone. Then the crowns are placed on sinus lift dental implants only. Sometimes the implant is placed when bone height becomes 3 mm and then it had to wait for the next 6 months. In total, the patient needs almost 1 year to gets a crown.
Permanent Dentures cost is bit expensive because of its long-term treatment. We have stopped doing sinus lift since 5years at our center for these reasons. With basal implants and pterygoid implants, the patient gets permanent teeth in 3 daysTM at a reasonable price and quickly.
3. Requires Repeated Surgeries:
- Surgery for removing the bone from a hip or another suitable area.
- Surgery for placing the bone graft.
- Surgery for placing the implant.
- Surgery to expose the implant.
Because of Sinus Lift complications, bone graft failure has become very common.
- Risk of tear of sinus membrane: The major threat or risk of a sinus lift is that the sinus membrane may be torn or punctured. The membrane could be torn during the procedure. Then the surgeon will either stitch or place a patch over the sinus tear. Your surgeon may stop the procedure and give the tear time to heal if the repair is not successful. Once the membrane has healed The sinus lift is repeated. All of these things usually take a few months.
- Bone graft may fail if it infected.
- Occasionally, bone graft materials do not integrate with the existing bone. The grafted area could not develop a blood supply. If that happened, placing implants in this area will fail because there is no live bone for them to attach. If all this occurred, you may have to repeat this sinus lift procedure.
With the vastly efficient basal implant, tuberopterygoid implants, and zygomatic implants the upper jaw can be easily restored with implants. Also, the permanent bridge fixed on the 3rd day besides sinus lift. Also, the success rate of pterygoid implants and basal implants are very encouraging.
Dr. Motiwala in International Press
To access the article, kindly click the logo of the NEWS website below.
Don’t Wait, Contact Us Now!
To explore your treatment choices and avoid paying any sinus lift cost in India, contact Dr. Motiwala Dental Clinic & Implant Center at +91 99596 14584. To contact us, please use the enquiry form on our CONTACT US page, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible with all the information you require.